Monday, December 5, 2011

Past Jobs

The worst job I ever had was being a busser at Hanna Zen sushi restaurant. What a stereotypical job for a Hispanic person to do; bussing tables. Before this job I remembered saying that I will never become a buser for any restaurant but I still did this backbreaking work because I was not planning to stay, although I worked there for a whole year. To bifurcate, I was there only as a buser who cannot contribute, meaning all I can do is pick up dishes, clean the whole facility, setting up the tables, and help the server/waiters, who just takes orders, all for 2% of the entire tip and minimum wage. Even though it was hard physical work, what made me upset the most about this job was that they did not take any consideration of my educational background of communication and marketing which they needed severely because no customers would come. However, from this experience I did learned how to talk to different people with multicultural backgrounds which helps me with any internship because learned how to accommodate the general public.
As for my best job, before learning and development at Year Up Bay Area, I was a California State University Bakersfield’s (CSUB) mail room employee. One of the main aspects of delivering the mail is the friendliness of people. Working was like going to say, “Hi” to my associates not co-workers and for my co-workers, they were more like friends because we went out all together for lunch and talk about movies, shows and ideas while keeping that work environment courteous towards others. The one thing I learned about working in the mail room is being friendly towards everyone while I was alone in Bakersfield. By interacting with different staff and having that friendliness towards other I have prepared myself for the real world.

No comments:

Post a Comment