Wednesday, September 14, 2011

EL SAMURAI

Many of you do not know it but I am a mixed race between Salvadorean, Mexican, and Japaneses and I made a name for myself, El Samurai. I was raised Japanese-American with a lot of Hispanic influence but I DONT SPEAK SPANISH.  El Samurai, is the skater, the arrogant punk, the dumb kid, and the beer drinker. Pretty much the person Adolfo, (the friendly, funny, communicator), wouldn't want to be. For example in the movie Kill Bill, they describe "alter ego", and what had happened was my alter ego was Adolfo, and I was El Samurai all along. I am El Samurai and I use "Adolfo act" to become what El Samurai wants to be, successful. Being at Year Up, I understand how I suppose to talk in this professional setting because outside, in my culture, I am one of the kids being stupid and dangerous. I would actually use curse words to a norm, for example, back then I would say to my friends, "go f**king die" like a goodbye, and today at Year UP or with colleagues I say, "bye, see you next time". I truly feel I have changed my habits by creating the appropriate atmosphere for each location. If they ever where to mix atmosphere, you'll meet El Samurai.


"look at you look at me there's no difference I can't see"-DRI

5 comments:

  1. "my alter ego was Adolfo, and I was El Samurai all along."

    Oh man! I used a similar comparison except I used Batman.

    Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad somebody finally mentioned the inside jokes between friends as an influence. I'm sure that you wouldn't say "go f**king die" as a good bye to just ANYBODY. As extreme as it might seem to some people, they cannot deny the fact that many people do use curse words, vulgarity, sometimes even violence as humor, and when turned into a memorable moment shared among friends, an inside joke is born. One to be used endlessly and never losing its touch. Well done Adolfo. The only feedback I have for you is perhaps you could have gone more in depth as to why you don't speak Spanish since you made it apparent that people often assume that of you. ALso, who specifically in your life influenced your speech? Best friend? Siblings? Class mates? Other than that your blog was an entertaining and informative read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the personal connection and how you went into explaining why and how. this post of your is very entertaining and filled with information and connections which i enjoy reading. i read your blog about 3 times senses the day of the post and the only feedback i can address to you is a little bit more back ground about yourself. Great blog Adolfo i enjoyed every word.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed your blog and thought it was great how you have learned to choose your language according to the atmosphere. I feel we all have alter ego's and I look forward to meeting "El Samurai" outside of Year Up.

    ReplyDelete